Saturday, November 16, 2019

Legacies - Screw Endgame


Discussing Ep. 2.5

This was a really fun episode, however it had its pitfalls with one very underwhelming reveal at the end.

I loved the 80's theme, even right down to the logo. I thought Lizzie's hair looked really good all frizzy like that. Frizzy Lizzie! I'll copyright that.


It was interesting because it was sort of like the prison world that Bonnie and Damon went back in time to, however there were people in this one and also the Minotaur! Back on that later. Seeing as how it was like they went back in time to the 80's, I was kind of hoping we'd get like a cameo from Elena's parents. However, it wasn't a real time travel (despite the DeLorean making an appearance) though it was still fun. I was amused at them having to play Frogger in real life in order to make it through the world.

I have to say, the Minotaur costume was both corny but cool.


I give full credit to the guy who had to run around in that thing because running around in that thing looked like it would be the most awkward and difficult thing a person could do. But damn.....that guy could run and he'd run at full speed too!


So props to that guy for doing a really good job in that Minotaur costume.

While I did like this storyline, much like some of the other storylines in this episode, I was sort of let down by the purpose of it all. The original Keeper got stuck in the labyrinth because some sorcerer got rejected by some woman he was pursuing and like a typical modern-day incel, he created the labyrinth and put her inside of it with the Minotaur as punishment for rejecting him. Her only way out was to find another lovely maiden to take her place. First off, this apparently had nothing to do with Landon. Previous monsters showing up out of Malivore were all about finding Landon and taking him back to Malivore. Here, the Keeper wasn't concerned about that at all.

While my problem wasn't necessarily with the story itself, it felt like they created that history specifically for the moment at the end where Lizzie takes the "women are doing it for themselves" approach and decides that they will not let themselves be controlled by the whims of men anymore. I don't know.....it just felt awkward the way they interjected that message of female empowerment because they didn't really need to do that. They've been able to get the female empowerment message across just fine in these episodes. There really isn't a need to spell it out for the audience.


Case in point, I liked that it was Lizzie who picked up on the Keeper not telling the whole story about the labyrinth which caused Lizzie to break the cycle by destroying that bracelet. It follows her character's ability to figure out puzzles and mysteries (like she did when she figured out how to beat the genie last season). I do hope they bring that side of her out more often because it's a positive for her character. I found it hilarious when she knocked Hope out with that stick. Damn! Girl was swinging for the fences when she hit Hope in the head! And I also liked that she and Hope were able to once again become friends although I'm sceptical since Lizzie seems to flop back and forth about that particular status. But for the time being, it was nice that Hope found somebody who remembered her, which seems like it's going to be the whole world who remembers her now judging by the ending. The one thing I did find rather funny, if not convenient, was that the labyrinth was 80's themed and the school party was 80's themed. What a coinkidink! Oh well.


Surprisingly enough, I actually liked the interaction between Drowned Pirate and MG. They worked really well together and I kind of wish they had kept going, which they just might considering the ending. I'll get out my TVD Mythology book and start nitpicking on something.....if Sebastian is indeed a regular vampire, then how or why was he able to appear to MG or Kaleb or Lizzie at all when desiccated? They wrote it that he got a taste of blood and therefore was strong enough to mentally project himself to Lizzie and then MG and finally Kaleb. That being said, to my recollection, that's never been done before. I recall that Elijah was able to talk to Rebekah in a dream or vision when he was daggered, but not full blown interaction in the real world where nobody else could see him but Beks. And he's an Original vampire! How could Drowned Pirate be more powerful than Elijah to do what he did? I remember Damon able to speak to Caroline when he was desiccating. So I can agree that vampires actually do have that ability to communicate while desiccated. But none of them have been able to project themselves the way Drowned Pirate was able to. So that's why I'm not sure if he's 'just a vampire.' That said, I am thus interested to see what he is and what his agenda is. If it turns out he's just some run-of-the-mill vampire who is just out to become the next Ripper, that will be real disappointing.

As for the other storyline with Lasie, again I was impressed but at the same time worried about how and why they were having Landon and Josie hold back on having sex. First off, I laughed so hard when Landon is looking for a condom and Bonnie Tyler's I Need A Hero is playing in the background. That was totally unexpected and that brought a real smile to my face. I liked this scene between Landon and Dorian.


It's refreshing to have a character like Landon who isn't cocky, who isn't smooth, who isn't so sure of himself and that he needs to talk to someone older and more experienced about what he's feeling. He's not the typical CW teen hunk with abs of steel and a rugged personality who knows how to seduce and make love to women naturally, all at the tender age of 17! Even when you compare him to a character like Rafael, it's amazing how 'typical' Landon actually is. Within the TVD Universe, let alone the CW itself, this was something else because it felt real and I'm sure it felt relatable to some of the teen viewers watching. And I applaud them for that. What I was worried about though was that Landon was holding back because, when Dorian mentioned how Landon would know that the time was right and that the person was right, I feared that Landon was holding out for Hope, if only on a subconscious level. I didn't want Landon to hold back on having sex with Josie because there was some weird sixth sense that would only allow him to feel the need to have sex with Hope as though Hope is his one true love or something like that.

Thankfully, that wasn't the case and Landon was raring to go once he got a condom. So the chase was on to find a condom and what I also found refreshing and very responsible of the writers was how, when Landon came back with condom in hand and Josie didn't want to do it anymore, he didn't push it. It might not seem like a big thing but after hearing and reading stories of girls and women on dates (of all ages) who, when the guy buys dinner and buys tickets to the theatre or movie and what not and then expects to get some action because 'she owed him' after all the money he spent on her, this was an important message to get across and I liked how they did it. She could say 'no' at any time and he should respect that. He could say 'no' at any time and she should respect that. So, a round of applause for that!


Now, of course, the reason as to why Josie didn't want to do it anymore, that being that Landon's journal (?) which was being filled in again with thoughts of Hope, it seems like people's memories of Hope are coming back? I didn't really get how and why Lizzie's memories came back and I'll be curious to know why others memories are coming back too but I won't harp on that.

And finally, the big reveal at the end. Who or what is Vardemus?


I have to say, I was rather disappointed. For him to turn out to be none other than Mudman Jr. in disguise? That was weak. I wanted Vardemus to be his own character....to be someone new who had his own agenda and who could be a completely new player in the grand scheme of things. I don't mind if he decided to team up with Mudman Jr. This just spells doom for Alexis as a regular on the show. Not that I expected him to be a regular necessarily but I expected him to have a long run throughout the season, to have a bigger role to play. I don't mind Clark coming back but not like this! This was just.....I didn't like this at all.

And so now I'm sure they're going to have to retcon Vardemus' history because he was hired by Caroline and that obviously could not have happened if Clark was stuck in Malivore with Hope! And I'm trying to remember the sequence of events. I suppose Vardemus did indeed show up when Mudman Jr. got out of Malivore, so I suppose it all lines up. Either way, it sucks and I was really, really hoping for something different.

One last note though, my props to Alaric for pulling off this costume.


He looked really good! I think the beard really completed the outfit. I swear, if Matt Davis wanted to play the role of Indiana Jones in a remake, he probably could do it!

So aside from the ending, it was a rather fun episode. The crew pulled off some really cool dance moves during the dance scene and the 80's theme was a pleasant treat. I kind of like that they've thrown a wrench in the works in terms of the love rectangle, although I am worried that Hope might just drown her sorrows in a sexual tryst with Rafael, which would hurt Landon who hasn't slept with Josie yet and would give Rafael the wrong impression. I see things going very wrong, very fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and tasteful in your comments. Lively debates are welcome. Bullying and childish behaviour are not. You are expected to know the difference.