Saturday, May 30, 2020

The 100 - The Garden



Discussing Ep. 7.2

I really liked this episode. It helped to answer a lot of questions from the last one as well as shed some light on a really important pairing from last season.


They really built it up last season, the relationship that would emerge between Octavia and Diyoza. They were both very snippy with each other but at the same time, Diyoza knew where Octavia was coming from and seemed to understand her at a time when no one else did. Octavia was just coming out of the darkness that had turned her into Blodreina and she was trying her best to come to terms with it all, and Bellamy was just not being of any help. No one really was. Having Diyoza be the one to connect with her was so fitting considering Diyoza's past as a world famous terrorist. Considered a monster in her own right, she knew what Octavia was going through and perhaps did (or didn't) understand Octavia's need for acceptance from Bellamy and others. At the very least though, Diyoza, in her own way, was a sympathetic character for Octavia and she definitely needed that.


Likewise, I remember feeling that Octavia had that maternal/mentor instinct to her in the last season, especially in the way she interacted with a Sanctumite girl (who unfortunately died). But I could see that perhaps Octavia needed that person, that Little Octavia, as it were, to get Octavia to reconnect with that part of herself that was not corrupted by all the violence and bloodshed that she had endured. Although it was the irony of ironies when the Disciples came looking for Octavia and she had to hide Hope in that little nook in their house, telling Hope to be brave and to stay quiet. This was an obvious nod to Octavia's experience of hiding in the floor when she was growing up. I think DiyO was a very apropos and cool pairing and I'm glad we got to see a window in their developing relationship.


I think it worked so well how both Diyoza and Octavia needed that break from everybody and everything in order heal themselves, both emotionally and psychologically. Where they were was highly therapeutic for both of them. Although Octavia had one final piece of business to settle, and I really hope she gets a chance to settle it. It was rather heartbreaking how she was so determined, so bent on trying to find a way back to Bellamy to show him that she finally changed for the better. And I loved how Hope was wanting to help her to do it, so that Aunty-O could bring everyone back with her, including Murphy! ðŸ˜„ But Diyoza wasn't so supportive. I could see why she wouldn't want Octavia to leave because they were all happy together. She also didn't want Octavia killing herself trying to do it. And her line of "Your brother left you to die! Why are you so eager to run back to him? Why aren't we enough?" That was a killer line. That just really showed how much Diyoza had changed too and how much she had come to love Octavia and regard her as family, to the point of being rather jealous and protective of their unique relationship.


Considering all that, I think this episode sufficed in terms of seeing the bond that developed between the DiyO family. I don't think there was a lot left to show beyond that. I don't think another episode is needed and I applaud the writers for being able to show the development of DiyO so effectively in one episode. "Teamwork makes the dream work!" I like that quote. What I was surprised by was that neither Octavia nor Diyoza taught Hope how to fight! Echo assumed, like I did, that Hope got her training from DiyO and that's why she was so good. I am now eager to see how Hope fared without Octavia and Diyoza there and who this Dev person was who ended up training her. 


So we get to the here and now, so to speak. It was rather amusing when Hope mentioned how Octavia had spent 10 years on Skyring and I kept thinking to myself "Well, she doesn't look like it! She still looks, at best, like she's in her early 20's," only to check up Marie Avgeropoulos' age and she's actually 33 years old! So I guess everything fits. Not only that, but much like on Manifest...."it's all connected!"


I'm going to need Baby to explain the history here and how Becca is connected to Eligius III and all of that, because I was thoroughly confused. I couldn't remember the backstory and the different ships and what it all entailed. Perhaps it's not that important but I'm big into canon and histories and all of that so maybe I'll have to do some research to piece it all together. I really hope that the CW will go ahead with The 100 prequel regarding Becca and Josephine and all of that before the first nuclear apocalypse happened on Earth to piece it all together. It seems like humanity has stretched far beyond Earth and Sanctum after that apocalypse. Almost Star Trek like. And perhaps they've found a way to do space travel without a ship!


So the Anomaly is basically just a Space Bridge. And there's apparently more than one. The one in the lake seemingly leads to Sanctum, though I'm wondering about that now considering Octavia threw her message in a bottle into that Bridge and it led to the Disciples showing up and taking both her and Diyoza away to Bardo. And the second Bridge, which is in that cave, perhaps leads to Bardo? More questions. What I found funny was that had Gabriel not come with Hope and Echo, none of this would have been explained! No one would have thought to look into the skull of that guy and find a memory drive. And only Gabriel had the technology and know-how to even read the memory drive and had the backstory as to where they actually were (Planet Beta) and what it all meant. I'm really glad he was around because none of it would have made much sense!


Throughout the episode, Hope seemed to have a real problem with Echo. And after she revealed whom she got all her info on Echo from, it was clear to see why. Octavia seemingly didn't shed a good light on Echo. Hell, I'm curious to know what she said about Clarke! I know she's said something perhaps tongue in cheek about Murphy! I'm also curious as to what exactly Octavia did share with Hope, especially in regards to Skairipa and Blodreina. I can't imagine those would be soothing bedtime stories that Diyoza would be happy to have Aunty-O share with Hope. Then again, I can't imagine Diyoza's own exploits would make good bedtime stories either! It was nice to see Hope drop her guard and stop being so antagonistic towards Echo and to see Echo do the same. It's funny because I think Hope would find a lot of sympathetic/empathetic people among Wunkru, especially Jordan! He's like the only other one who's lived in isolation, away from other people other than his parents, like Hope did. I'm calling it now...Jordan and Hope. Jope? Hopan? But the others all have their stories of heartache, pain and suffering and could probably relate to her in some way. So it was really good to see Echo reach out and make that connection with Hope. 

 
So you kind of knew that things were just too good to be true. That Gabriel was finally able to get the info he needed from that guy's memory drive and suddenly this hobo comes and smashes his tablet! 😒 I have to say, I did like how they explained the technology, from how the Bridges are activated with people's biometric signature to the hobo with a clock tattoo that actually counts down! I want a tattoo like that....well...maybe I don't! What I'm curious to know is why everyone loses their memory when they do cross the Bridge. Hope didn't seem to know who she was or why she attacked Octavia (it was apparently to put a locator tag on her) nor did she even know who Diyoza was (though it seemed to be coming back to her). All her memories returned when she made it back to Skyring. Perhaps those suits that the Disciples were wearing help to stave off memory loss during travel. There are still a whole lot of questions and mysteries that need to be answered but I like that a lot of them were answered in this episode.


So I take it that this is it (for now) for the adventures on Skyring and we go back to Sanctum in the next episode where we see Clarke basically go and screw everything up some more. Well, she's going to have help with RussellDC now there amongst them. I wonder though if Dark Commander has access to all of Russell's memories and if Russell knew of the extent of the Bridges' power. He mentioned how the Anomaly was something that caught his attention about Sanctum. And I also wonder who or where the Disciples come from. Are they from another Eligius mission? Are they in any way associated with Becca? Their technology and ability to manipulate the Space Bridges is highly advanced and so perhaps another Eligius ship landed on some planet where that technology already existed and these guys took advantage of it.

How many planets has humanity colonized at this point?   

As a post script, I couldn't help but think of the GN'R song "The Garden" when I read the title of this episode. If they could have gotten the rights, they should have Diyoza at least sing a few bars. I could totally see Diyoza being a GN'R fan!

You can find it all inside, no need to wrestle with your pride
No, you ain't losing your mind, you're just in the garden
They can lead you to yourself or you can throw it on the shelf
But you know you can look inside for the garden


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and tasteful in your comments. Lively debates are welcome. Bullying and childish behaviour are not. You are expected to know the difference.