Monday, October 25, 2021

Legacies - You Have To Pick One/There's No I In Team

 


Discussing Ep. 4.1 & 4.2

So I was a little late to the party with a change in work schedule, but I'm here now and I have to say, there is some hope (pun intended) for this series yet!

I will say that I enjoyed the first episode more than the second, but both have set the season off to a good start. I'll go in no particular order about what I liked so far and what I think needs improving.


Aria as Malivore. This is awesome! I so love his performance. In some ways, he sort of reminds me of Paul Wesley when he portrayed Ripper or Silas, as it gave a great contrast to the good-guy persona of Stefan. It's the same here. Aria gives Malivore a malevolent sense of identity that the character sorely needed. I get the sense of an enemy with intelligence, with emotion and with intent and you didn't get that before when it was just the golem version of Malivore. Aria does such a great job with his voice and his mannerisms. Even when he portrays Landon, you can get a sense of the divide between the two personas and that's important.


And I like that they essentially gave Malivore a purpose beyond just existing. While I suppose there was always that threat of Malivore coming back and wreaking havoc on Earth with his fantasy monsters, they added to that by having Clarke explain that Malivore now has a taste for humans. If he does return, he will begin devouring both human and supernatural creature alike, attempting to satiate a hunger that never dies! This was such a crucial development and added much needed gravity to the threat that Malivore presents. So it's no longer just about Hope vs Malivore....it's the world vs Malivore! They raised the stakes and I'm so glad that they did.


I also like what they did with Hope. The elephant-in-the-room is being called out and I love it. Her obsession over Landon, to the point that she will jeopardize a mission in order to save him, is causing a rift between herself and the others. I like this development as it gives Hope yet another obstacle to overcome and puts her at odds with the others and allowing them not to stand for it. She seems to be accepting of their judgement and I like that too, as it shows a degree of growth on her part. The fact that she was willing to let Landon go in order to save MG (though I didn't catch why he needed her blood.....was he bit by a werewolf or something?) shows that she is indeed growing as a character. 


What I also liked, but at the same time gives me cause for concern, is how they mirrored Hope's trajectory in becoming the first tribrid with Klaus' trajectory as the first hybrid. I recall when Elijah spoke to Elena about it, he painted a bleak picture of a powerful vampire-werewolf who could walk in the daylight and turn at will without the full moon, who could not be killed by the sun or silver, who could convert others and create a whole race of hybrids. It almost came to fruition and the threat was pretty much downplayed from there. They're sort of depicting Hope in the same way, but it's a bit more vague. Klaus' personality before his transformation is what gave his completing the ritual it's weight in terms of a threat. He was already a monster and a murderer. He would simply become more unstoppable. 


With Hope, it's unclear what will happen if she becomes a tribrid. Her personality isn't like Klaus'. She's a hero....so she'll become a more powerful hero? The way Landon described it, he was more worried about her genetics, sort of hinting that perhaps she will follow in Klaus' footsteps simply because she's his daughter but there's no proof that she would. We did see in that alternate timeline when Hope did become a tribrid that she became somewhat evil, and I think they really need to revisit that. They need to add a more to the threat of her transformation so that we can get a sense of dread if/when she does actually become a tribrid.


The Wonder Twins. Once again, they're revisiting this whole Merger nonsense and it's a bit annoying. I reiterate these questions: what is the point of merging if the Gemini coven is dead and buried? The Merger was only done to choose the next leader of the coven. Why do a merge at all if the coven no longer exists? And didn't they already do a merge when Jose became Dark Josie? What happens if they don't merge? This is an important question that Finch never bothered to ask and nobody asks it because they don't have an answer. I mean, Jo lived to about 35 years old without ever having merged with Kai and she was fine. So what is the big deal?


I will say that on an individual basis, I am intrigued by their separate storylines. I do wonder if Kaylee Bryant has any say in the way Josie looks because it seems like more and more she's tapping into her Japanese side, having Josie look more like a real life anime character! And I mean that as a compliment because I do like the look. Aside from that, I wasn't as annoyed as I thought I would be with the Finch-Josie scenes, though Finch deciding to bail at the end of Ep.4.2 was all kinds of bullshit. Josie was honest and told her, for the most part, that dating her wouldn't be easy. But at the news of the Merger, Finch decides it's not worth it and bails? Why am I not surprised at this?


As for Lizzie, I have to say that she should stick to wearing her hair long as when it's shorter, she looks older. I had to laugh when Finch was talking about Josie and Lizzie turning 25 years old as Jennie Boyd is, in fact, 30 years old! Aside from that, I was amused at her lack of feelings for Ethan. I mean, it's rather typical. Here is this guy who is everything she could ever want and she feels nothing for him! I'm curious to know where they're going with this because while they could go for the typical and comical love triangle between Lizzie-Ethan-MG, the fact that Ethan is now being corrupted by Malivore throws a wrench in all of that.


Kaleb. Was I ever shocked to see this! A vampire feeding on people....like a vampire?!? Though I don't know why they inserted this into Kaleb's history, it was rather refreshing to see. The way he killed those band members was brutal. Just brutal!


I mean, look at that! He chomped off a chunk of his face! That's what I like to see in regards to the dark side of vampirism, this uncontrolled and brutal nature that puts people in danger. But like I said, I do wonder why they included this aspect into Kaleb's history. Was it only for this moment, for when he and Alaric were trapped in Malivore that he would therefore be a threat? 


Speaking of Alaric and Kaleb, why are they trying to pair these two up? It seems like a rather odd pairing as they're nowhere near the same age or share the same life experiences. It seems rather ironic given that Kaleb portrayed Damon in that school play and now he's replacing Damon as Alaric's drinking buddy, especially when the real Damon is ALIVE AND WELL IN MYSTIC FALLS!!! I still gripe about that fact!


Cleo is the one character that I'm very unsure about. While I do like her personality and feel like she's a refreshing addition to the cast, the fact that all she can do is give inspiration is limiting her potential. What will she do after she gets out of Malivore? Will she be the go-to person for inspiration for the Super Squad? That seems like a rather limiting role, just being the person that everyone touches to get over their creative blockages! While they kind of hinted that her brand of magic is somewhat different, I hope they will expand on that, allowing her to bring a different kind of power to the group since they already have enough witches with Lizzie, Josie and Hope.


And finally, Ryan Clarke. Not really that much to say about this character. I do wonder what will become of him now that he's a human and can go anywhere and do whatever he wants. I can't really foresee him becoming a part of the cast because he doesn't really bring anything special. He's got no super powers, and his insight into Malivore is limiting. I suppose it would be cool if he did something like join some other supernatural agency like the Armory from Vampire Diaries. But beyond that, he's not really much of a factor in anything.


Though I will say, I took umbrage with his line that the "human healthcare system" wasn't all that it was cracked up to be.

Uh....no!

The AMERICAN healthcare system isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Over here in Canada, we can stay in the hospital and walk out without a hefty bill being handed to us. It's like that in other parts of the world too! So don't be lumping us in with countries whose healthcare system leaves much to be desired!

Okay, rant over!  ðŸ˜„


I will say, I'm rather intrigued by the preview for Ep. 3. Some cool fight scenes, a rift between Hope and the others, and....Dorian? 

Great!

On the plus side, apparently Rebekah Mikaelson will be making her long awaited debut on Legacies! I am so stoked for that. It's about fucking time that another Mikaelson finally showed up and reminded the audience exactly where this show originated from! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and tasteful in your comments. Lively debates are welcome. Bullying and childish behaviour are not. You are expected to know the difference.