Saturday, November 23, 2019

Legacies - That's Nothing I Had To Remember


Discussing Ep. 2.6

Finally....FINALLY....Freya makes her appearance!


I'm glad they eventually addressed the elephant-in-the-room, so to speak, about how the Mikaelson family would have photos of Hope but have no idea who she is or why she is in those photos with them. I'm surprised that Freya didn't do more investigating on her own considering she should have found it weird or at least suspicious that something happened to her memory and perhaps she might try and figure out what happened. It begs the question....had Josie never come to her, would Freya have even bothered to figure it all out?


It was funny hearing about what has happened to Freya and her wife (Keelin?....trying to remember the name). They now have a son named Nik....short for Niklaus, no doubt. I was sort of surprised but not surprised, at that. I suppose it makes sense to name the kid after Klaus, but what about Elijah. He died too! Isn't anyone going to name a kid after him? Hell, I wouldn't have bat an eyelid if Freya named her son Mikael or Finn, considering she was rather close to those two even though the other Mikaelsons weren't. I was intrigued that she and her wife were considering Salvatore School as a potential future for Nik. Is Nik a witch or a wolf? I'm curious to know whose eggs they used. And who is the father? My money's on Vincent, and if so, then it makes sense that it was Freya's eggs that were used so that Nik is a full-fledged witch. They kind of retconned the whole 'only family lineage dictates witch potential' by having it that ANYBODY can be a witch (kind of like anybody can be a Jedi according to the new Star Wars....I'll touch on Landon and Lizzie later!)....so, I guess Vincent's sperm wasn't necessarily needed, but it'd have been nice if it was his (even nicer if Vincent 'donated' the sperm the old fashioned way! Frincent Forever!).

It was good seeing her again and it was nice how she and Hope reunited. I did have an "awwww!" moment there because of how Hope was looking at everyone else being with family and loved ones and she was alone and then she suddenly sees Freya. My only gripe, of course, is that Freya is the only one to show up! Where's Beks? Where's Kol? Where's Marcel? Didn't they get their memories back too? Wouldn't they be eager to go and seek out Hope and give her a hug? Maybe they'll have some throwaway lines about them all next episode.


The Croatian was a rather weird monster (I know it's Croatoan but I just kept calling him the Croatian while watching the show so that's what I'm calling him....no offence to Croatians!). It was kind of funny because he was dressed as a Puritan but looked all kinds of fucked up. I kind of liked how he would stab his victims with his nose and then melt their insides. Gross! But he was rather humorous, if not exaggerated, in the way he moved around, almost like he was doing performance art or something. The one thing I didn't like and was thoroughly disappointed in was both his motive and how he came to be.

And it seems we have Drowned Pirate to thank for the Croatian.


This sucked! While I will say that I like DP and his interaction with MG in particular, I was expecting him to be something other than your run-of-the-mill vampire. I expected him to have some loftier goal than be just some vampire who was lying around and showed up at this opportune moment when the Croatian happens to show up too and he's the only one with the background info needed to stop him. He just happened to know the witch, Cassandra, back in the day who summoned the Croatian to root out liars in that Puritan community and he just happened to show up in the here and now when the Croatian showed up and he just happened to have a memento of Cassandra that Hope could use to bring the Croatian down. Sigh! This felt like classic TVD S5 writing right here. Contrivance and Convenience also seemed to make their glorious return with Freya!   


I'm assuming DP is sticking around for a while, which I'm not upset about. I could envision moments of humour where he's trying to get acclimated to the 21st century, especially with Lizzie teaching him. If anything, both of them will make a killer couple in regards to their snide comments. I spit out my coffee in laughter when he called MG and Kaleb "turnips." And then you have Lizzie with lines like "once you bone, you can never un-bone" and telling Hope that she still has a chance to "plant your flag on muppet treasure island!" I could see Sezzie (Sebastian and Lizzie) being a cool, sassy kind of couple. Then again, I do wonder about Lizzie and Landon. Those two are just funny as hell with each other, especially when Lizzie is like "Where do you stand on Ewoks" and then she endures Landon's diatribe on Ewoks. The two of them sort of remind me of Damon and Bonnie but are less serious than Damon and Bonnie were. Lizzon....Lanzie....I'll go with Lanzie....they're a neat frenemy kind of pairing.


Here's a couple I don't have such high hopes on now. I gotta say, I was upset at the way Sheriff RIP treated Alaric. She's a working mom with two kids. A working mom who is a sheriff, no less. Surely, she's had her moments of having to put her work or her kids before a romantic interest. And yet, she didn't accept Alaric's excuse of him having to look after his kids as a good enough reason for him "ghosting" her at the bar? Like....really? How many times has her job or her kids gotten in the way of her romantic life? I was completely unimpressed with her lack of understanding in regard to Alaric's busy life.

And then you have her interrogating Alaric for what Vardemus/Mudman Jr. did to that 80's woman. It was funny when she pointed out how all of Alaric's love interests seemed to come to a tragic end and then he pointed out how her history was no better. That was a sweet move for Alaric to have done his own background check on her. Turnabout is fair play! So of course, she's looking to pin the murders of the 80's lady at the bar on him, when Alaric plays this card:


Mayor Donovan! MAYOR MATT DONOVAN! Really? I suppose it's cool that Matt's still in the TVD Universe, but with him being the mayor, you'd think he'd be seen even MORE often now? Well, at least he's moving up in the world. And hopefully part of the perks that come with being mayor is that he has a better hair stylist!


The other couple I'm not too keen on is Hope and what's-his-name (I need Baby to come up with a name for Sheriff's RIP's son. The football guy).


I don't know why I didn't like this, but I just didn't. This feels more like typical TVD or CW style of writing, with Hope falling for the hunky, charming, football quarterback. I'm surprised we didn't get a shirtless scene of him with Hope drooling at the sight of his abs! But at the same time, I'm conflicted. I didn't want her necessarily falling for Rafael simply because I didn't want a love square between her and Raf and Landon and Josie. But when Rafael came to her and expressed his feelings for her and realized she didn't feel the same way, I felt bad for him. I really did. In a lot of ways now, Raf is irrelevant. Which isn't to say he wasn't before but he really has no role anymore, other than being Landon's buddy.

And the other thing that I'm not too keen on is the potential that Hope is bi-sexual. I get it was one line and perhaps it didn't mean anything and maybe it was inserted for comedy, but when she confessed that at one point she had a crush on Josie and Lizzie flat out said that THAT will never happen.....I was shaking my head. Is Hope bi-sexual? Was she just bi-curious? Is she going to be like Aunt Freya where one day she's banging guys and then the next day, she inexplicably and suddenly falls for a girl? I get the day and age we live and people can be whatever they want to be and all that....but can they not decide here and now what Hope is? Is she going to be a tri-brid and a tri-sexual at the same time? I don't even know what a tri-sexual is but I'm throwing the term out there. Is she going to be everything all at once? Just fucking decide what you want her to be here and now!

Moving on. The other person who is deciding who or what she is is Josie. I didn't mind this conflict and I even liked it, her conflicted emotions on whether to bring everyone's memories back or to erase them forever, thereby keeping Landon to herself. I liked how she gave in to her selfish feelings by launching that attack on Freya. Bold move, considering how powerful Freya is! But then, she called Caroline, asking for advice on what to do. I really liked this because she was so conflicted and she reached out for help. She wanted to be selfish but at the same time, she knew it was wrong and she couldn't make the decision on her own. I felt this was a highlight of the episode.


Well, that and now this. What the fuck is this? If you're going to spy on someone, there are better ways to do it that this. We have cameras and other technology that can collect intel without having some weird detached eyeball slithering around the kitchen, spreading E-Coli and other diseases along the way!

Oh, and then there's this!


What the fuck is this? A rotary phone? I harp SO MUCH on Riverdale about their backwards technology, especially when it comes to phones because they use NOTHING but rotary phones. Like...EVERYWHERE!!! I thought it was a Riverdale issue but no.....apparently the whole of CW have nothing but rotary phones on their shows! Look, I like rotary phones. I still have one somewhere locked up in a box. But fuck me....why are any of these places using a rotary phone? Why? How? Kids these days don't even know how to use rotary phones. That's not an assumption....it's true!


You can't text. You can't one-button dial a number. You have to dial all seven numbers! Seriously.....how many people, kids or adults, even know their home fucking number? People today are so used to one-button dialing that remembering a seven-long digit number is practically a lost art form! Look, if you're going to go old school....go all the way:


Get one of these fuckers! I actually want to get a cell phone that looks like this. I'd carry it around in my bag and when people ask if they can use my cell phone and I whip out this antique throwback, they'd be like "what the fuck" and I'd have a laugh seeing them trying to use it. Because I'm strange that way.

Anyway, it was a mixed bag of an episode. I'm glad Freya made her appearance and I hope we see more of her. I'm worried that we're going down the familiar TVD path in regard to the romances with Hope and Football guy (I need a better name for him). We'll see how Lizzie and Drowned Pirate make out and whether Landon will choose Hope or will he go with Josie. And what monster will show up next? 

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and tasteful in your comments. Lively debates are welcome. Bullying and childish behaviour are not. You are expected to know the difference.