Saturday, January 18, 2020

Manifest - Grounded


Discussing Ep. 2.2

What gets me about this particular season is how they all seem to have forgotten what happened last season. First, it was Jared who is sceptical of the callings. Now, it's Cal and Ben that are so quick to jump to conclusions without recalling what happened before.


While I could understand Ben's trusting nature and his belief in the innocence of TJ, I had to sort of agree with both Jared and Mick. You can't just assume that every 828er is some angel or saint that is receiving a calling is both genuine and innocent. Last season, they had TWO people who received callings that weren't quite innocent. One was that guy who drowned and was a career criminal. The second was a passenger on 828 who was an abusive husband and his wife was hiding from him. I was totally expecting the twist that TJ had, in fact, killed that girl and concocted this plan to throw everyone off his scent. Then again, that would have been TOO calculating on his part but nonetheless, Ben should have shown a little bit of caution. Then again, I suppose that's his character but throwing Mick's relationship with Zeke as being on par with his situation with TJ was not fair and I'm surprised Mick didn't bring up those two examples that I did. In the end, Ben's instincts were correct but they could have easily not been.


Then we have Cal and Olive. Again, I understand Cal's natural tendency to want to discuss his callings with Mick or Ben or even Grace at this point, but for him to completely dismiss Olive as a person with whom he could talk with is head scratching. She was instrumental last season with locating him and with helping Ben figure out his visions. So I don't understand why they are singling Olive out just because she's not getting callings like all the others. And I'm sceptical about her attending this new church and what they are going to teach her. Frankly, I'm sceptical about EVERYONE now!


I'm sceptical of this guy, Troy Davis. Wasn't he the one who referred Saanvi to The Major in the first place? He seems nice, if a bit too forward, and though I get his interest in Saanvi (who wouldn't be interested in her....she's hot!), he seemed a bit TOO interested. Though I could be wrong but I have a feeling he's somehow involved with The Major and is going to be leaking any info that he discovers by working with Saanvi straight to The Major. At the same time though, I could see him falling for Saanvi and his loyalties would start to come into question. It would sort of be like that mole from last season, where the 828er was working for The Major because her family was put at risk but she defected in the end. Perhaps it will be the same thing here.

Speaking of Saanvi and her work....


From what I could read here, it seems that Ben really is the father. I was positive that it would be Danny. And for all we know, it still could be. They never really confirmed one way or another. Ben's name isn't on this form, it only lists Paternal Subject A. I'm assuming that's Ben because why would they list Danny as Subject A and Ben as Subject B, right? If they somehow make it that Danny is the father instead of Ben, then nothing in this episode will have made sense.


As for Grace's calling, I want to know why it's in her own voice that she heard the calling. What does that even mean? Is it her future self talking to her? Is it her subconscious? Why would it be in her voice? I suppose it makes sense for her to not get the paternity test done in the hospital since those records would easily accessible by The Major, so perhaps that's why she got the calling to stop. But then again, who or what is warning her? And why would they not warn Saanvi to shut the hell up when talking to The Major?!? I kept yelling "Noooo....shut up, Saanvi!" when she was talking about the genetic sequencing and all of that in her therapy sessions. I'm glad that Vance is keeping track of things and it will be interesting if they put two and two together and are able to reveal The Major as Saanvi's therapist, or at the very least someone she cannot trust. My guess is, she'll blame Troy, which might also be fair game.


I'm sceptical of Det. Mikami. Sure, she's probably been at the precinct for a long time and maybe she's a good cop....but I'm still sceptical. Her background as a rich kid felt rather significant and so I'm not totally trusting of her. Still, her attitude seems to complement Mick's and she seems willing to look the other way when Mick does things that aren't 'by-the-book' and so she could be a good ally. And I have to say, I loved it when she was introducing herself to Mick and Jared interrupted and asked "Do you mind?", indicating that he'd like to talk to Mick. Mikami had no problem replying "Yeah, I actually do!" before they were both interrupted by the captain. So I like her attitude but I'm still not sold on her yet.

Speaking of the captain.


As much of an obstacle that she is going to be, I like her attitude as well. She's very no-nonsense but not in an annoying kind of way, if that makes any sense. She's just not someone who is going to put up with bullshit and so I could see her making things very, very difficult for Mick from now on. Having said that though, I could see her being a good ally too....IF she's able to be convinced of what Mick is telling her. Right now, she's nowhere near that but I could see Mick having a calling that has something to do with the captain that would turn her point of view around. We'll see.


I don't get Zeke. He's gone and fucked himself up real good by getting himself convicted. He's still getting the turbulent callings but now he's all doped up and he can't do a damn thing about it! He just goes and makes things all the more difficult for everyone. How in the world is Mick going to get him out of jail now? He pleaded guilty to all the charges so the judge isn't going to reverse any of them. And according to Cal, he's an integral part of the Mick's future. So now they have to find a way to get him out of jail. Idiot! I have a feeling that The Major may get him out if she finds out that he's not an 828er but is getting callings as well. Then, he's going to be in Major trouble!

HA! See what I did there? I'm funny!

A good episode. I'm glad that TJ turned out not to be a killer and that he was able to see the old photos of his mom. That was very touching. Also, I'm hoping we see more of this lovely lady, Suzanne. She's rather hot as well!


At the very least, she'll get a job for Ben, which is good. I'm curious as to how the Stone's are paying for any of their bills and groceries with Ben having been out of work for months now.

Then again, she might be working for The Major. I'm sceptical of her now too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and tasteful in your comments. Lively debates are welcome. Bullying and childish behaviour are not. You are expected to know the difference.